Monday, October 20, 2008

Ukies--46. Graduation

Graduation


Finally it was over. You could breathe a sigh of relief that it was finished…forever.


We had just participated in the final task of graduation that would be required of us and were quickly unbuttoning the robes to get the hell out of there, when Sister Theodosia strode into the room. The boys all fell quiet. I also froze; I had just spat out a curse word and lowered my head as I unbuttoned a stubborn button of my graduation uniform.


I heard her footsteps come across the room and stop before me. I was sure she was going to berate me a final time when I saw her fingers brace the button and ease it off. My robe was free…Wow, she had helped me! Never did that before…


I looked at her; she was red-faced and tearful. Something was coming to an end…


Many years later I would think of the books I was still to read, of Brothers Karamazov where Ivan is kissed by the Elder Zosimov. Sister Theodosia stooped down and kissed my cheek. She said nothing but looked at me as if she was going to say something…Then she turned and walked away and out of my lives…forever.


Many of the guys looked at me but they also said not a word and a few shrugged at each other.


Gratefully grade school was over…and Ukrainian days were finished for good…or so I thought…


###

No comments: