Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ukies--41. Nowhere to go, nothing to do...


Nowhere to go, nothing to do…


Was a hot summer and the streets were too sweltering to just hang out on them. 8th Street between Avenues B and C was no different from 9th Street between First and Second Avenues -- two places I always gravitated too, Bohdan was on 8th, Ihor on 9th, but the hot streets were a no-where-land to me that summer so I headed uptown…


Must have been 95 degrees or so when I turned off 23rd Street and went downstairs to the pool hall there; I had been there before, the guys never checked your age, and it was a nice place to get out of the heat.


I took a seat and watched a few players going around the tables, but it didn’t look like they were seriously playing, just workers from the various companies on their lunch breaks.


I had been there maybe a half hour or so when a pool player nodded at me.


“Looking for any action, kid?” he said, chalking up his cue.


I shrugged. “Maybe,” I said, not getting up, since I didn’t want him to think I was an easy mark.


“Rack ‘em up, kid,” he said. “Let’s play a game.” And again he chalked up his cue. “25 cents a game, alright?”


I got up from my chair. “Nah,” I said. “Ain’t interested,” and headed to the door and stairs.


“Stupid kid,” I heard say behind me.


Wow! 99 degrees! I read in the corner drugstore thermostat. Wish I had somewhere to go…something to do…


I just walked…and sweated…

###

No comments: