Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ukies--44. Changes (1)


Changes (1)


Near the end of the school year Olena began to be a bit tense and nervous, but over what? she wouldn’t say…One time I walked her down 7th Street to 1st Avenue.


“Why don’t we meet somewhere else,” she said, biting her lower lip. “Somewhere closer, you know.” She sucked on her half-smoked cigarette, threw it away, looked at me, and lit another one.


Many times I had wandered back and forth along Washington Square Park looking and hoping I’d see her, which I seldom did, and finally going in some movie house and trying to make sense of my anger and disgust.


“Why can’t we meet somewhere there?” I had suggested in the past. “Like in the park?”

She looked at me with some disappointment.


“That’s not part of the game we’re playing.” And she looked hopefully at me.


Over time I agreed to be her patsy, with what ever she had in mind for me.


That first time was easy, she seemed to be right there when I came walking by in the Village. The next time I had to walk a block out of the way but I saw her under a movie marquee about to go into the Sheridan. Still, the next time was even harder; I think I wandered all over the Village and did not see her anywhere. I went home angry as can be.


“Sure,” I said. “We can meet on the corner, in front of Mindy’s.”


But she looked at me with some frustration and anger, her lips clenching tightly; I thought she meant the corner where everyone who goes to school gathers and hangs out.


“I don’t mean there,” she finally said. “Somewhere nearby, you know…” Again she bit her lip and looked nervously at me.


“You tell me where,” I said, hoping she didn’t mean further uptown.


She studied my face again, and said, “You know the park by the river?” and she flicked her cigarette in a puddle of water. “On 10th Street, there’s an overpass. We can meet there”


I nodded. “Yeah, sure, let’s meet there.” I felt myself growing hard as she leaned over and kissed my cheek, strangely looking very perturbed and bothered.


“But what time?” I called after her.


She turned around, lit a cigarette, and loudly answered, “Same as last time.” And she trailed off as I watched after her….


Now what the fuck did that mean? I thought, again pissed and staggering home. What fucken time?


###

No comments: