Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ukies--9. Teen Hop

Teen hop

Finally in the 7th grade they agreed to let us have a hop, you know, boys and girls dancing and socializing; the boys with their macho stance and the girls with their feminine one, but all taken from the movies or TV but really going nowhere. What were we anyway, TV characters?

I sat down a bit tense -- wow! guys were dancing with girls! But I was trying to make it look like it was a boring affair. I watched as the boys and girls swayed, weaving very stiffly and awkwardly. Then I noticed Sonia sitting there. Wow! I thought, she’s not dancing either. The nuns and priests were in a corner talking amongst themselves; I steeled myself and approached Sonia.

“Wanna a dance?” I said.

Sonia looked at me. “I just did,” she answered but then shrugged and stood up and started walking to take her place on the dance floor. I was right behind her.

She turned to face me and uplifted her arm to place into mine.

“Can you teach me how to dance?” I whispered, as our hands almost touched but didn’t. “I never done that.”

She looked at me with surprise but then disgust and anger teemed across her face. She stalked back to her table. I went the other way and walked out of the dance room….

###

No comments: