Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ukies--20. Third Grade

Third grade

I was in the 3rd grade and acting very rambunctious and always getting into trouble. We were in the old school building on Avenue B and 9th Street before they built up and finished with the new one on 6th Street and Hall Place, off 3rd Avenue. I had to tread my way to and from school every day along 1st Avenue and 5th Street and head east but many had to take similar longer walks along the Lower East Side streets.

One warm spring day we were sitting as the nun was teaching class. It being a warm day the nun told those sitting near the fire door to open it and get some air in. Suddenly five boys raced from their seats to tear the door open, but somehow it slammed back shut as ten little arms tried to hold it open to no avail. A vicious cry burst from a little boy and since I was the closest to him I was grabbed by the nun and angrily shook as if I was the one who had forced the door to swing shut.

Needless to say, the boy was freed from the slammed door and my parents were called in to take their cruel and evil sadistic son home. Of course there were doctor’s bills for the victim, who wasn’t so badly hurt after all, just a rough scratch and tears of surprise from him but of course as a little kid he had to show off his hurt to the adults around him…and which I had to bear the brunt of what I did.

Anyway, he liked being a victim and got away with alot after that…Poor victim, sure sure….

###

No comments: