Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ukies--38. Seeing Olena


Seeing Olena


I saw Olena today on Broadway. I was going to the pool hall on 23rd when I noticed her across the avenue.


Was this too far to approach her, I thought, or was I conditioned to play her game of not knowing who I was?


I shrugged, and was about to cross the avenue when a guy standing by her said something and offered her a cigarette. I crouched with lowered head but kept my eye on them. The guy was doing most of the talking as he lit her cigarette -- but I saw she had turned red and was looking away from him…that could only mean one thing…


The light changed; I saw she was looking right in my direction. What would happen now?


I slowly began to cross the street, hesitant, afraid, when I saw her smiling at me. I breathed a sigh of relief; glad she knew me no matter that this wasn’t downtown anymore…


I came up to her; she leaned over, flicking away her newly lit cigarette, and let me kiss her cheek; she squeezed my hand.


I saw the guy look at her, his lips tightening as he stared at the wasted cigarette and just keep walking.


I was very happy that she recognized me…we were just a few blocks away from where her strange game would actually begin…I breathed a sigh of relief…



###

No comments: